Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Life is Not a Musical.

I regularly tell my best friend here in Sioux City that life is not a musical.  You see, she often bursts into song at the most inconvenient times.  Not only is her timing undesirable, but she prides herself on singing each lyric about half a second after the artist sings it.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love this girl.  I'd probably go insane without her.  But that's ironic, because she drives me absolutely crazy with her singing sometimes!  She's a really great singer--quite a bit better than me, anyway--but sometimes her timing is off. And she knows that.  So don't worry, I'm not offending her by writing this post.  :)
So basically, "Life is not a musical!" has become one of my catchphrases.  Unfortunately, I sometimes contradict myself when I belt out whatever tune is stuck in my head while walking to the cafeteria.  I don't mean to serenade everyone on campus.  Sometimes I don't even notice that I'm doing it!  I blame all the catchy songs and lyrics that get engraved into my brain on a weekly basis.  Just to give you a taste of the random songs that have been running through my head lately, here are a few videos of what I've been singing lately.

Kenny Chesney-You Save Me
As many of you already know, I'm going to see Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw in concert this summer.  So it's only fitting that I would have a Kenny song stuck in my head this week.

Taylor Swift-Ours
If you've known me for even just a few days, you probably know that I'm a huge t.swift fan.  I'm sure I'm extremely biased, but I think this song is absolutely adorable.  There was one day last week that I sang the entire song on the walk from the cafeteria back to my dorm.  You're welcome, world.

Shrek the Musical-I Know It's Today
I realize that this one probably seems a bit out of place after the last two, but hey.  I can't control the songs that are running through my mind.  This song is about Princess Fiona waiting day after day for her knight in shining armor to come rescue her from the tower.  Listen to the lyrics, because they're pretty funny, and I wouldn't hesitate to say that this just about sums up my personality.  :)

High School Musical 2-What Time Is It?
Alright, before you judge me for openly singing a song from a High School Musical movie (the worst of the trilogy, at that), let's all just admit that almost everyone under the age of 21 had an HSM phase at some point in their life.  I am no exception.  So whenever someone asks me, "What time is it?" my automatic answer is to sing, "Summertime!"  You can't blame me.  This really is a catchy tune.  It also features the infinitely handsome Zac Efron, as well as Corbin Bleu wearing a custom t-shirt that, naturally, says "I majored in vacation."

And after re-watching that High School Musical video, I'm starting to wonder if, perhaps, life really is a musical.  But even if it is, I'm going to continue telling my best bud otherwise, so as to avoid the spontaneous dancing that will inevitably follow the singing.  Sorry, my friends, but this is not Grease.  :)

Shout-out to my best college friend.  Keep using your beautiful voice to sing, and remember that a) life is not a musical and b) my life would suck without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment